Thursday, 16 January 2014

Hawkeye 1891

A Waihi man tied to a boiler had a miraculous escape from death.  The large boiler, for a new steam engine at the Waihi mine, was being transported in a cart drawn by two horses.  The roads on the way to Waihi were well known to be of a particularly rough nature and the boiler was jolted a great deal.  To save the driver, Mr Crimmins, from the effects of the jolting he was bound to the boiler.  All went well for 20 miles but coming to the scene of the work there was a very rough bit of road and it was suggested the courageous Mr Crimmins be untied.  The bonds were loosened and the dray started off again.  A moment later the dray, boiler and horses all toppled over an embankment.  Mr Crimmins, being of light build, shot ahead.  As he looked up he saw the boiler coming after him and he leapt out of the way.  The boiler leapt also, Mr Crimmins jumped again and got clear of danger.  The boiler was not injured in any way.

The social and intellectual sphere of Tapu were delighted with their Mutual Improvement Association.  It had a first class president in Mr Samuel Cooper, and the Secretary and Treasurer were tireless in providing stimulating matter for the Saturday evening programmes.  One meeting was devoted entirely to songs, essays and recitations and another to the vexing question "Are Trade Unions beneficial to society at large?"  This subject occupied the whole of the evening and was "well ventilated."  Coming programmes included the early history of Tapu and readings from Mr Charles Dickens.   There was a good sprinkling of the fairer sex at the meetings and "there is no doubt as we progress the thing will become quite is a step in the right direction as it supplies our youth with matter which may prove useful to them as they grow up in years."

 The disgraceful state of the Thames to Tairua road bore out the Tairua correspondent's prophecy of an accident waiting to happen.   Constable Joyce's horse put a hoof into one of the plentiful potholes that pitted the road throwing him heavily to the ground.  Mr H Laycock, who was accompanying the constable, went to his assistance.  The constable was in a dazed and stupefied condition and after a great deal of exertion Mr Laycocok managed to get him on his horse and led him back to the hotel.  The concussed constable remained confused for three hours before he realised what had happened to him.  He was quite delirious through the night but  towards morning  an improvement took place and he was brought home.  Constable Joyce had a suspected dislocated shoulder or a broken collarbone but as there was no doctor in Tairua it was hard to say which.  Did Thames councilors intend to keep Tairua people waiting until the road got so bad that communication was entirely cut off between Tairua and Thames before something was done?

The new telephone line from Paeroa to Waihi was nearly complete.  Mr Martin, the linesman, had had a difficult job with the work, which was however, most satisfactory.  The line ran via Karangahake and Mr D Campbell was to work the Waihi end.

Mr Andrew Fleming, cattle salesman of Parawai, visited Paeroa with a view to arranging cattle sales in that town.  "This will be a good boon to the district which rears a large number of store cattle  and is a good market for fat cattle."

"WANTED - 10 young ladies to travel the Australian colonies.  Apply to Mrs Webbe, Allaways Boarding House, after arrival of Argyle on Wednesday."

© Meghan Hawkes and Dead Cert 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment